PHF Summer Video

When Words Aren't Enough

Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 1 - Starts With Deep Fried Bread


Today has been a great day. I woke up at about 4 a.m. Then, I, and the rest of the early risers, went on a walk around the village. It was very fun. Stacey (an 18 year old orphan here) came with us as well. We bought some fresh, deep fried bread. I totally ordered it in Chinese... it was awesome. We also woke to a clear, blue sky today. I think only those who have been to China can appreciate that... seeing a blue sky never happens here. It was very nice.
I went to see a boy named Grady after the walk. When I went to China last year, he was one who touched my heart. We've been trying to communicate through letter for the past year, but it has been very difficult. At first I couldn't find him in his house, but then I saw him and he had the biggest grin on his face I have ever seen. His teacher had heard so much about me that she actually invited me to come to school with him. Grace Allen, Melissa Andrews, and I went for an hour. It was very fun. I showed him and the class pictures of my family with Chinese on it. He saw Laura's (my older sister) picture and were like... BEAUTIFUL! My mom and I also "beautifuls", though not as enthusiasticcally as Laura's "beautiful". I asked if Mark was beautiful and he was like "ewww no. Boys no beautiful. He handsome". So then he said Mark and Dad were handsome. It was very funny. He's a great kid with a great heart. I wish you all could meet him because words and stories just don't do him justice. The pictures of my family were an awesome way to start conversations with the teacher and his nanny. I had some really good conversations with both of them. I also got a Chinese name.... Mei Li. It's not the Mei Li that means beautiful in Chinese, but it actually means beautiful flower. Grady's teacher gave it to me.
Overall today has been great. A lot of new experiences and great times already. Please continue to think of our team and pray for opportunities to share the Father's love. Thanks so much for all the support!

Melissa Seely

No comments:

Post a Comment